Braces vs Invisalign
Considering treatment to align your teeth and improve your smile? Unsure whether to choose conventional braces or Invisalign?
Here at Dental 359 we understand it can be overwhelming making a final decision when there is so much information to consider for both braces and Invisalign. That is why we are here to break down the information and simplify the decision process for you!
Let’s begin with the basics.
Invisalign and braces were both designed to align teeth, improve your smile and oral health.
But what are the key differences between the two?
Braces consist of metal brackets that are glued to the teeth and tied together by wires and small rubber bands. These days, brackets and rubber bands come in neutral tones so to be discreet or you can choose to have different colours should you wish to show off your treatment.
Invisalign was manufactured to be invisible, and this is achieved by aligner trays made of BPA-free clear plastic that are worn over the teeth to subtly and gently move your teeth.
Using x-rays, photographs, impressions or 3D scans your specialist can create a precise 3D image of your entire mouth, so your aligners are customised 100% to you, to ensure a perfect fit.
Pros and cons of braces
- Depending on the complexity, braces can be more effective in moving/rotating teeth
- Braces are fixed to the teeth, so there is no need to worry about forgetting to wear them
- May have some discomfort or pain from wires, brackets and tooth movement
- Tooth discoloration may become present due to difficulty maintaining hygiene
- Hard, sticky foods must be avoided during treatment
Pros and cons of Invisalign
- Clear “Invisible” aligners
- No issues with food getting caught
- No uncomfortable wires or brackets
- Invisalign mainly improves the teeth aesthetically and patients with complex dental functionality may benefit from braces
- Must remove aligners before eating or drinking anything but water
- Slight discomfort may be experienced from tooth movement
As Dr Golestani tells his patients: “Invisalign is an improvement, braces is perfection”.
If you are still unsure of which treatment option is the best choice for you then call one of our friendly team at Dental 359 to arrange a consultation with Dr Hooman Golestani on 1300 625 625.